Pages

SUMMER 2016 ESSENTIALS!

Monday, July 25, 2016

Can anyone else believe that we are almost completely done with the month of July, not to mention we are over half way through the year 2016?! Time completely escapes me, especially during the summer! With that being said, I've had a few weeks to find my summer essentials when it comes to hair and beauty. Some of these products are tested and true over the years, but a lot of them are new to me this year and I've fallen in love! Let's jump right into what you'll find in my makeup and hair drawers this time of year.



Summer skin is my favorite skin because my face and body tans up, my blotchiness tends to go away, and I don't break out as much! This summer I've really struggled with breakouts, but the St. Ives Pink Lemon and Mandarin Orange Scrub really helps keep my skin clean and clear! If I forget to use it for a few days I really do notice a difference in my skin. Since I shower in the morning, I keep it in the shower and use it so I have a clean slate every single day. Once I have a nice clean face I start my makeup routine with primer. My very favorite primer that I use every day is the Smashbox Primer Water. When I first got this product I thought it was a scam, but I seriously am addicted. It is super hydrating and refreshing, plus you can use it as a makeup setting spray when you're finished with your makeup! On days when I'm feeling extra dry, I'll use my Makeup Forever Step 1 Hydrating primer to add a little extra moisture to my skin. After the primer comes foundation and concealer - and these two products are my every day go-to's. The L'Oréal Infallible Pro-Glow foundation is perfect for the summer, both day and night. It provides medium coverage and it has a dewey finish which is my favorite during the summer. To hide my dark under-eye circles and highlight my face, I use the Maybelline Better Skin Concealer. It's super creamy and doesn't crease when you set it with powder. The formula is extremely similar to the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, but the Maybelline concealer is obviously more affordable.


During the summer I am all about keeping it simple, but my mother raised a woman who hardly ever leaves the house without makeup. I used to cake the makeup on heavy every single day, but as the years have gone on I've opted for the "less is more" motto. My everyday essentials include a shimmery, neutral eyeshadow palette like the Lorac Pro 3. With 8 matte shades and 8 shimmer shades, I can achieve my minimalistic eyeshadow look in about 3 minutes without having to dig for a million different shadows. For lashes, I am obsessed with the Benefit Roller Lash. This mascara is pure gold. It curls my lashes and makes them look so long and fluffy, and if I wait till the first coat is a little sticky, I can easily thicken my lashes up with a second coat. Since no makeup routine is complete without a little contouring, I've been using the Benefit Hoola bronzer. This product is the perfect matter bronzer without breaking the bank. I used to use NARS Laguna, but ain't nobody got time to pay $40 for a bronzer that hits pan in 3 weeks (or is that just me?). Hoola doesn't have any orange undertones either, making it perfect year round. For my cheeks I usually use MAC's Melba blush. It's a pretty matte peachy-pink blush, so it's not too over powering but adds just the right amount of flush. To finish off the summer glow, I've been loving Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfector in the color Opal. I place it on the top of my cheekbones and down the bridge of my nose for a subtle highlight. Last but not least, I've been loving my Kylie Lip Kit in the color KoKo K. These kits are great because they come with the liner and the matte liquid lipstick, which is seriously one of the best formulas I've tried. It's not too drying, but it doesn't take an hour to completely dry. You also don't have to reapply as often throughout the day. I don't typically wear bright lip colors, so KoKo K was perfect for me to use in the summer and will be easy to transition into the fall and winter as well.



This summer my hair has been through a lot. I had keratin bond extensions installed last spring and those lasted till just after the 4th of July, and when I got them taken out I decided to have my stylist give me an ombre hair color, and we're still in the process of lightening my hair to the right shade of blonde. These products have been through it all with me, and I love them just the same. To start out, I have to rave about the Wet Brush. When I got my extensions put in, the stylist gave me one because she swore I wouldn't live without it. She was right. To say I am obsessed would be an understatement. I can't even use a regular hair brush or comb because this brush is SO amazing. If you buy one product I've mentioned today, it should be the Wet Brush! It's wonderful on wet and dry hair.... and speaking of wet hair- my favorite product to use after I shower is the Pureology Color Fanatic Hair Treatment Spray. This leave in spray is supposed to do 21 things for your hair and believe me, it does. I use this in conjunction with the Pureology Hydrate shampoo and conditioner, and I really feel like my hair would be dead without this line. My hair is pretty thin and fine, so to give it some texture I use the Alterna Perfect Texture finishing spray. The only thing I dislike about this spray is the smell, but I've gotten used to it over time. I've been trying to wash my hair every other day instead of every day, so to get me through the second day grease pit known as my roots, I've been using the Batiste Dry Shampoo. This particular bottle is in the scent "Tropical," which is super fun for summer. This dry shampoo also helps give my hair volume and lift on the second day, especially when my hair tends to be super flat. Finally, I've been loving my new Ultra Chi Flat Iron. I've used a Chi since I was in the seventh grade, but all the other flat irons I owned only had an on-off switch. The newer models have a temperature control, which I think is super important! I don't typically want to fry my hair at 450º so to be able to set this flat iron to a lower heat setting is wonderful! I try to buy mine at Ulta when I have a coupon or when they're on sale. 


So that does it for my very favorite products for the summertime. I hope you guys enjoyed seeing what I've been using. Let me know if you have any other favorites that I should check out! 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs